Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Case for UK Law Schools - A Personal Dilemma

As most of you know (since I never shut up about it), I visited Europe last summer and loved it. So much that I resolved to one day live there, even if it was just for a short period of time. Paris, I loved. But since I don't speak French, I can't foresee myself being there for anything related to education. But London, I loved just as much.

And that leads me to today's dilemma. Please excuse me. I'm about to ramble on for a bit. What else is new?

So, a couple of weeks ago, I blogged about recent law school acceptances I received. And so far, I've received acceptances from 2 schools in the United States and 2 schools in London, England.

Granted, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools in Canada and the U.S., so I guess I'm prematurely stressing myself out (as I usually do). But here's the dilemma anyway.

When I applied to law school, I didn't realize how hard it would be to actually choose which one I should go to. I was just hoping against hope that I'd actually get in. Anywhere. But now that I'm faced with choices, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to choose between the offers I currently have. It's really hard. Cost-Benefit analysis, anyone?

Which brings me to this dilemma. I've heard conflicting reports about getting your law school education in London. On the face of it, there are so many cons. Examples: Extremely high (expensive) standards of living, expensive tuition, and most importantly, the process of coming back to Canada to write the NCA accreditation exam in order to practice here.

But then again, I know several people who attended law school in London, loved it, came back, wrote the NCA exams flawlessly, and found a job immediately, erasing their debts just a few years into employment.

On the other hand, the schools in the U.S. that I'm considering are just as reputable. And just as expensive. And a pretty large distance away from home. And it's a year longer than a degree from London.

Do you see my dilemma? Do you see? I don't know what to do. I really need to do a cost-benefit analysis. Stressful decisions, these. Am I crazy to think that law school in London isn't such a terrible idea? Is staying in North America the better choice?

I know I shouldn't seriously consider UK law schools in terms of practicality (do I really want to move halfway around the world for two years?), and I should probably consider the U.S. schools more seriously, but I still find the entire acceptance package from London extremely attractive. Am I crazy to think so? The term funding bewitched me, I tell you. Not to mention the actual experience of living in Europe. But that's my shallow side talking.

And so this is my dilemma, friends. As I continue to hear back from schools in the next two months, I'm sure I'll be ridden by even more bouts of anxiety. I can't wait until everything comes in and I can finally weigh all my choices properly.

Oh, life-changing decisions. I guess I should face it: I'm really, really not ready to be an adult yet. It's too hard, I tell you.

"I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition."
- Martha Washington

"There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read them. But all that is going to matter is that little dash between."
- Kevin Welch

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I'm experiencing the SAME dilemma. Just got into a UK school but it's just such an awful process and dreadful option. How have your experiences been?

    ReplyDelete