Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wrapping Up The Best of 2010 - Happy Happy Happy New Year!

Dear 2010,

You, my dear friend, were a year of changes, life lessons, and great surprises.

I'm eternally grateful for each blessing, each opportunity I've encountered during your 365 day reign. On the eve of December 31, 2009, I had no idea you would be such a significant year, one that would ultimately change my life.

If you asked me where I was, who I was with, what I was wearing, what I was doing, who I texted, who I called, who I hugged first, who I wished first, when I rang you in on the eve of December 31, 2009, I could tell you everything in vivid detail. I'm told I have the memory of an elephant. It was a memorable New Years Eve. And yet, you, the year we rang in, proved to be even more fantastic.

You, 2010, were the year I applied to graduate school. You were the year I decided, with finality, that I would throw caution to the wind and commit 10 months of a life towards a Masters degree before moving on to law school.

You, 2010, were the year I moved away from home. To a strange new city away from my family, my friends, my relatives, away from my cherished city, my comfort zone, away everything I've ever known for most of my life.

You, 2010, were the year I obtained my first full-time job. A job where I learned about the realities and politics of the working world. A job where I met a number of accomplished individuals, where I travelled to places I've rarely visited. A job where I grew up, transitioning from naive student to shrewd employee.

You, 2010, were the year I started this blog.

You, 2010, were the year I discovered law school options beyond the borders of Ontario. The year I discovered that I'm more than capable of attending law school at institutions I wouldn't have previously considered.

You, 2010, were the year I met wonderful, incredible people. Many of whom I trust will be life-long friends. From those in my discussion group, to church, to school, to others I met during my activities over the summer. You, 2010, were a year I met friends I will forever treasure.

You, 2010, were the year I came face to face with the beauty that is Europe. Where I walked the streets of Paris and London, and wandered the piazzas of Rome. You were the year I fell in love with cities I (cross your fingers) hope to live in one day. You, 2010, were the year I discovered my travel bug.

You, 2010, were a year I learned more than I anticipated, academically and personally. You were a year I learned the value of maintaining and solidifying friendships, the year of experiencing the painful loss of losing a close friend.

You, 2010, were also the year I discovered research areas I've never explored, and opened my mind to ideas and perspectives I used to outright reject. 2010, you were the year I realized how narrow my political perspectives were. I was a narrow-minded academic, I hope I never make that mistake again.

And in the world beyond my grad life, the entertainment and sports world imploded with never-ending changes and surprises in 2010.

You, 2010, were the year of the Olympics. Of Sidney Crosby and Canada's memorable hockey win. Of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. And you, 2010, were the year I attended my first Grand Prix event, falling madly in figure skating love with the skating prodigy we call Patrick Chan. You were the year my figure skating fandom reached new heights.

You were the year Taylor Swift began dating Jake Gyllenhal. Let's speak of that no further.

You, 2010, were the year I re-discovered my love for all things Sandra Bullock. You were also the year I took up jujitsu so I could gear up to smack Jesse James in the face. Ha. Just kidding.

You, 2010, were the year I discovered How I Met Your Mother. Three years after everyone I know. Friends, I came to the party late, but I'm here. With bells on!

You, 2010, were the year and the summer of all things World Cup. Where my friends and I planted ourselves at a local pub and watched the Finals in anticipation. You were the year of Iker. And by association, Sara. And by association, the swoon worthy Iker Casillas and Sara Carbonero kiss after Spain won the World Cup. And yet you, 2010, were the year I fell in love with all things Oranje, and sighed dejectedly when the Netherlands lost the World Cup. No worries, I still wear Oranje with sweet memories of what could have been.

You, 2010, were a year of moments I will remember vividly (the memory of an elephant, remember?). The year of memorable family events, weddings, family picnics. The year of endless girly sleepovers, coffee dates, movie dates, dinners, ice cream runs, shopping dates. You, 2010, were a year so fantastic that it would be impossible to profess how remarkable you've been in one mere blog post.

And so, I'll end this here.

You, 2010, were a great year. And I'll remember you as long as I live.

I hope your good friend, 2011, will be just as memorable.

Yours truly,

A Grateful Optimist

P.S. Happy New Year, everyone! One day left in 2010, let's make it count!

"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man."
- Benjamin Franklin

"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."
- Oprah Winfrey

"For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning."

- T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We're going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day."
- Edith Lovejoy Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment