Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!

I have an exam tomorrow. And yet, I am blogging. Because I have my priorities straight.

And so behold, dear readers, is an ode to my excitement about the holiday season.

I can't even convey in words how excited I am about the holidays. Family reunions? Family dinners? Going home to Mississauga/Toronto for three whole weeks? Reuniting with friends? Celebrating in Kingston after exams? I am so, so excited, I can hardly contain it (insert 20 exclamation marks here).

But there's a downside to all this (holiday) excitement. Unfortunately, I have an exam tomorrow. And yet I can't focus. My mind is clearly elsewhere. Dear face, meet my palm.

Tory, Belinda, and I sat at Starbucks for hours this afternoon, attempting to study for our exam (Macro-Political Regulation of Ethnic Conflict. Exciting, right?). And yet our conversations weren't centered on the benefits of consociationalism (yes, I really did just mention Arend Lijphart on my blog. What's up?). Instead, the hours were spent seriously discussing the merits of short sleeve or long sleeve dresses for a Christmas party we're attending. Or the direction we should walk on Princess Street to maximize the number of stores we can visit for our shopping date on Friday.

Really, who could blame us? Santa Baby was blaring in the background at Starbucks all afternoon. (Along with Josh Groban, but that's another story).

This holiday excitement is both a benefit and a detriment. There's just so much to look forward to! And plus, Kingston looks beautiful. Decked out in decorative splendor, the streets are flooded with lights, store windows with absolutely exquisite displays. Kingston's small-town charm is so incredibly picturesque, I can't wait to walk around town to take pictures. Honestly, I love the holiday season, simply for the environment, and the togetherness we experience with those we've grown to know and love.

Oh, this excitement. I'm too excited to do anything productive, and yet I know I have to. Lest I flunk out of grad school. Alright, friends, it's time to buckle down and focus. Let this blog post serve as a motivator to help us realize that working hard will allow us to enjoy the fruits of our labour after - time earned to relax and enjoy the holiday season in Kingston before we all go home for Christmas. There is so much (celebration) to look forward to!

So back to studying I go! I just have to get through the next 24 hours, study for this exam, and write it. Because tomorrow night's post-exam plan involves Christmas movies and dragging our professor out downtown for a ~celebratory drink~ or two (or ten, whatever works). (ETA: I just realized how highly inappropriate that sounds. I promise, it isn't! Let's pause while I giggle for a few minutes. Because I'm twelve).

And I promise, dear readers, after this exam, I will actually blog about something provocative and interesting (can someone say WikiLeaks?) No more grumblings over how much work I have to do (for now), I promise!

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye. But only a few will catch your heart."
- Ben Crenshaw

1 comment:

  1. Ours was too full of excitement and fun. Santa, cake, red decorations and gel sprays of white color all over really made the atmosphere frolic. Dinner organized at one of the pretty Los Angeles event venues was the idea of my brother which worked very well. Holiday and partying on New Year was also detrimental.

    ReplyDelete