Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Home For Another Week & Karaoke @ The Gladstone

So. Clearly, last night's federal election was momentous. Mind boggling. I blinked a few times, staring at CTV's seat counter (Sidebar: Nothing can take away from my undying loyalty for Lloyd Robertson). I couldn't believe it. But, my comments on last night's historic results will end here. My thoughts on last night's results aren't very popular among my age bracket, so in the interest of tapering down on possible arguments, let's just say I'm sitting here, very satisfied, as I type this message. No gloating, no satisfied smirking. Just very proud of my incumbent MP and the party he represents. If you'd like to discuss the results with me, feel free to send me a Facebook message, friends! :)

But, anyway. The point of today's blog post. I forgot to mention that I'm homeeee for another week! Clearly, I couldn't stay away from Toronto.

THIS PAST FRIDAY...

Amid all the Royal Wedding hoopla, I headed to Toronto from Kingston this past Friday afternoon, running on 1 hour of sleep. I don't know how I survived. I met Alicia and Mel downtown, and we proceeded to kill 8 hours in downtown Toronto, until a fried's birthday celebration at the Gladstone Hotel's Melody Bar at 10:00 pm that night.

What do you do at the Gladstone Hotel's Melody Bar?

Why, you sing karaoke, of course.

Okay.

Story time.

When my fried informed me last week that we'd be heading to a karaoke bar for her birthday, I freaked out. In excitement. Do you guys know how much I love karaoke? More than life itself. But, I'm Asian. So clearly, I'm conforming to popular stereotypes. *flashes peace sign*

So, last week, before heading to Toronto, I casually mentioned to Janice that I'd be going to the Gladstone on Friday for karaoke. I was excited to burst into my own rendition of a Spice Girls favourite, you know? Don't judget me.

Except. Janice stared at me blankly once I mentioned the venue.

"You're going to the Gladstone for karaoke?" she asked incredulously, "Uh, do you know how they do karaoke there?"

"No," I was confused. I hadn't been there before. I just assumed it was, you know, normal karaoke. Full of low-key, lovers of everyday music with no hope of ever singing on the right key. Singing off-key, for the win.

"Karaoke at the Gladstone is HARDCORE, Barb!" she complained, "The last time we were there, we were booed of the stage. TWICE."

Okay. I know it was mean. But I giggled. Booed off the stage singing karaoke? I thought she was exaggerating. She tried to convince me that people who sing there are hardcore recording artists, but I brushed her descriptions aside.

I was ready to sing my heart out to old school N'Sync. You know? How could you boo someone off a stage when they're clearly so emotionally invested in classic 90's pop? I wouldn't have the heart to!

So, Alicia, Mel, and I arrived at the Gladstone on Friday night. It was cute. And I was super glad to celebrate my friend's birthday with her, since I missed her parties the last couple of years. And, I wanted to sing, damnit. Quit playing games with my heart. Ten points for getting that reference.

But then, it happened. The first karaoke participant stepped on the stage. She looked like any normal crazy about to burst out in an off-key, heartfelt tune. But.... she didn't.

Oh. She was really. really. really. good.

Um. This woman was talented. And, clearly, had tons of vocal training.

Janice was right.

As people came on and off the stage, singing their hearts out, I blinked. It was like an episode of Glee. They were really good. Almost professionals. I almost expected them to bust out a choreographed dance.

It, clearly, became evident that, uh, my penchant for 90's classic pop wouldn't be well-received by this audience. And, it also became increasingly apparent that we would be booed off that stage like no tomorrow if we even as much as stepped on that stage.

So, dear readers, we didn't.

We didn't make like Brian Litrell. We didn't put Aretha to shame.

Lesson learned? If you want to sing karaoke at the Gladstone, you have to be, uh, a good singer. Whoops.

HOME FOR ANOTHER WEEK!

But, no matter. I'm home in Toronto for another week! God, I love this city. I'll be visiting my old UofT campus libraries again this week to find books for this thesis, so it'll be nice to wander the area again.

It's times like these when I groan at the thought of going back to Kingston next week. Ah well, only a month or so until I can move back to Toronto for good.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! READ UP ON POST-ELECTION NEWS COVERAGE! Epic, epic, epic.

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."
- Victor Hugo

"Nothing important was ever achieved without someone taking a chance."
- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment