Thursday, January 6, 2011

DAY 5 - My Favourite Quote - The 30 Day Blog Challenge

Ah. Day 5 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge requires me to share my favourite quote today. This should be easy.

Dear readers, you may have noticed that all my blog posts are followed by a quote of some sort, much of it a result of a certain hobby a friend and I took up in high school. We've long since been avid collectors of quotes and passages we've read and liked. I know, I just revealed yet another part of my nerdy self. So I'll spare you all the details of my nerdy hobbies, and move on sharing my three favourite quotes.

THE 30 DAY BLOG CHALLENGE

Day 5 – YOUR FAVOURITE QUOTE


"It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of
thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to
live that our death brings no pleasure on the world."
- John Steinbeck

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything,
but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do something that I can do."
- Helen Keller

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
- C.S. Lewis

I don't think these quotes need much explanation. Call them corny, but they hold some sentimental value (in addition to being valuable in other ways). In Grade 4, a few days before a major ballet recital, my teacher gave me a book as a gift, full of different quotes and passages that she thought I'd enjoy. Back then, she was convinced that I'd be a writer of some sort one day. It was so nice of her. And all three of the above quotes were in the book she gave me, ones I read before I headed to the dance studio the next day. To this day, I'm still quite fond of these quotes, and the book still rests on my bookshelf, yellowed with age but still in great condition. Their sentimental value, in addition to a number of other reasons, is a reason why I love the quotes above. I could go on and on about them, but let's just leave it at that.

P.S. That's a Gerber Daisy in the picture above. Aren't they lovely?

"It is true that we are weak and sick and ugly and quarrelsome. But if that is all we ever were, we would millenniums ago have disappeared from the face of the earth."
- John Steinbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment