Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DAY 3 - The Best TV Shows Of All Time - The 30 Day Blog Challenge

Well, this is a little awkward. I didn't realize the topics on the 30 Day Blog Challenge would get so personal. Apparently, on the list I've been referring to, Day 3 requires me to describe my Perfect First Date.

Um. I don't want to. That's as interesting to read about as watching paint dry. So I've decided to, um, revise the challenge. And refer to another 30 Day Blog Challenge List!

What's the topic on Day 3 of this new list? Describing my favourite TV show? Now this I can do!

THE 30 DAY BLOG CHALLENGE

Day 2 – DESCRIBE THE BEST TV SHOW OF ALL TIME


Many of you who know me well have heard me rant about how much I love 90's pop culture. Because I rocked those overalls and high waisted jeans like my life depended on it. But when it comes to choosing what my ultimate favourite TV show was, I refuse to pick just one. How can I? When 90's TV shows were just all kinds of awesome?

On Christmas Eve, when I was eight years old, I came down with the stomach flu. Friends, it wasn't pretty. By any stretch of the imagination. And while I spent that evening sick and miserable, I still remember it fondly as the night I discovered The Secret World of Alex Mack. I marathoned this gem on YTV for most of that evening, and I fell head over heels in love. I also spent the next two weeks slithering around the floor, pretending I was transformative liquid. Who doesn't want to be a superhero, really?

When I was eighteen, in my first year and first semester of university, during my first midterm exam period, I came down with the chicken pox. I know. Worst. Luck. Ever. I spent a month in quarantine, was forced to defer my midterm exams, and spent several miserable weeks itchy and irritable. And yet, I still remember it fondly as the weeks I marathoned all seven seasons of Boy Meets World. I was in chicken pox heaven. And to this day, whenever I feel the all-too familiar feeling of stress or sleep-deprivation, I watch Eric Matthews as Plays With Squirrels and I bust a gut laughing.

I don't think everyone attaches sentimental value to things as trivial as TV shows. But I do. 90's TV shows remind me of the childhood I look back on fondly. I associate watching Family Matters with the desserts my mother would bake everytime I watched it, I associate Power Rangers (the ORIGINAL, obviously) with breakfasts with my dad.

I don't think we're ever too old for these shows, regardless of how corny or silly they are. And in this busy grad life of ours, it doesn't hurt to watch a couple of episodes when stress gets the better of us, right?

Be right back. I'm off to watch an episode of Alex Mack.

“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well, I won't do that.”
- Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment