Monday, January 3, 2011

DAY 2 - The Apricot Tree Cafe - The 30 Day Blog Challenge

With only a few days left of Christmas break, I wanted to spend as much time with friends and family as possible. And so today, I had the pleasure of having lunch with dear Candace, Ellen, Val, and Stewart. I was so glad to spend time with them before I left for Kingston. And most importantly, our long-overdue lunch date was held at the fabulous Apricot Tree Cafe.

Today also marks Day 2 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge. Here we go.

THE 30 DAY BLOG CHALLENGE

Day 2 – A PHOTO OF SOMETHING YOU ATE TODAY


Located just west of Dundas Street and Mississauga Road, the Apricot Tree Cafe is a well-known local gem with a cozy interior, and fabulous (healthy) meal options. Like the one pictured above.

Now, this blog post isn't merely an enthusiastic review of a particular local gem. Because while it is indeed fabulous (and I will be returning), I feel the need to point out why polite service is necessary at any restaurant.

News flash. If your wait staff are rude, your restaurant probably won't receive many returning customers. Just thought I'd put that out there.

The Apricot Tree Cafe usually has impeccable service. The wait staff are usually warm, friendly, and most importantly, polite. Unfortunately, our waiter today was far from these three adjectives. And I have a sneaking suspicion he didn't care to be polite because we looked young. And, in relation to usual stereotypes of young customers, he probably assumed that we wouldn't tip well. In a restaurant full of older customers, we stuck out like a sore thumb.

News flash again. Even if you don't acquire much money from younger customers, you shouldn't treat them like the scum of the earth. Young customers can still tip you well if you don't act crabby.

Courteous, polite service will always be expected at any restaurant. And it annoys me (to no end) when wait staff turn their noses to the air and treat customers like garbage if they don't look a certain way. You aren't paid to be judgmental. We aren't loud, we aren't uncouth, we aren't unruly. We aren't trashing your restaurant. We're simply regular patrons, eagerly awaiting a meal at your establishment. So please be courteous, that's all we ask.

Ah, well. The Apricot Tree Cafe is still a fabulous Mississauga find, and my past experiences are enough to have me go back again. My parents love this place. Besides the poor service, we still had a fabulous lunch today, and I spent time with people I love and value. At the end of the day, what more could I ask for?

P.S. That's the Club Sandwich.

"Time, which changes people, does not alter the image we have retained of them."
- Marcel Proust

1 comment:

  1. i absolutely LOVE the apricot tree cafe...its one of my favourite places in sauga. Ive been there thrice already and im gonna keep goin back...if not for the exceptional food and cozy ambience then for the cute waitress that works there and the happy chance that i bump into her again! lolll but shhh dont tell

    p.s barb this is kurt! lol incase u were wondering who the hell wrote this :P

    ReplyDelete