Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The First Week Of Class At Queen's


Today officially marked my second week of classes as a Master's student. With my first full week of classes officially over as of this past weekend, I thought I'd physically document this past week's momentous occasion on my blog, since first days and first weeks for everything are certainly special and worth documenting to reminisce over at a later date (i.e. In a year, I could certainly look back on this post and think, "Wow, look at this blog post. I can't believe it's been a year since my first day of week at Queen's, I'm getting old. I'm getting so old. Etcetera. Etcetera"). I think my mother has a whole album filled with pictures from my first day of kindergarten. No joke.

How was my first week? Well, friends, I think I've fallen in love. Actually, let me re-phrase that. I think I've fallen deeper in love. With politics. I can't even describe in words how incredibly, hopelessly excited and even more devoted I am to the study of politics after this past week.

Yes, I did admit that. And in the corniest words possible.

I'm actually most excited about my course study on political parties, which focuses largely on Canadian parties (although there are a number of readings that briefly focus on other countries). I haven't been this excited since I found out that Top Shop was coming to Toronto. Or when I discovered my beloved limited edition (!!!) Longchamp tote bag on sale in Paris. In all seriousness, the course takes a look at what political parties are, their functions, roles, organization, internal structures, ideology. And while I certainly hold a special place in my heart for the study of constitutional politics, my political parties readings has led me to seriously consider studying an aspect of party politics for my Masters Research Paper in the Summer term instead. We'll see what happens!

While I initially had reservations about another course I had to take (the worst conundrum I've ever been in! too stressful for words), my worries over course selection were over as of this past Friday. Deciding which courses to take over others was an exhausting experience, but it's finally over. And if there's one lesson I can take from my struggles over course selection last week, I've discovered that enjoying what you study and do as a career is so incredibly important. Without passion and honest-to-goodness love for your work and material, the motivation to continue researching and investing hours of effort will eventually wane.

Beyond the academic setting, I think genuine dedication and fondness (versus having to do things because we should or we have to) for our careers, our hobbies, and volunteer activities is so important, and I hope we all find that subject, career, or activity we love. Because finding mine is turning out to be an incredible experience!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
- Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment