Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dear Housemates - From The Roomie Upstairs, With Love


Dear Housemates,

I haven't blogged about you yet. It's about time I did. Two months ago, when I found housing in Kingston, I wondered who my housemates would be. I didn't know any of you. Obviously, moving in with utter strangers, I did realize that I could be living with potential nutjobs come September. I prepared myself for the worst. Prior to moving in, I read a story online about how a university student moved into a student house and found that one of her housemates had a pet snake. Fantastic.

However, let this blog post serve to let you girls (and boys) know that, in the month that we've all been living together, I've come to appreciate you all very much. And the fact that none of you own a snake.

I appreciate that on nights like tonight, when the weather is lousy and we have no desire to cook, we can all go out for dinner to an obscure, hole-in-the-wall Cambodian restaurant and still enjoy it. As I sit here writing this blog post, I am absolutely, positively stuffed. Due to nerves over my presentation this afternoon, I didn't eat a single thing all day. However, our girly dinner this evening at Cambodonia did the trick. Stuffing ourselves with Cambodian food, known on campus for its rave reviews, I'm glad we discovered the tastiest spring rolls in Kingston together.

I also appreciate that our ice cream cravings occur simultaneously. And the fact that we all require sugar after every meal. I also appreciate it takes each of us 10 minutes sampling every flavour at Baskin Robbins before making that life-or-death decision. Thank goodness, I'm not the only one overly indecisive about meal options.

I appreciate that we watch the same TV shows. There are absolutely no objections to running home from Baskin Robbins, in the pouring rain, just to catch the latest Glee episode. I also appreciate that there aren't any fights over the remote to watch arbitrary shows like The Apprentice. Because really, who watches that nowadays?

I appreciate that one of you called our landlord to have someone check on our heating issues. As a result, we won't be freezing to death tonight.

I appreciate that none of you complain over my alarm clock that rings every morning at 4:30 AM. Thank you for tolerating the crazy housemate who voluntarily wakes up at the crack of dawn.

I appreciate that we have similar music tastes. And while my own music preferences sometimes lean toward the obscure (really, if anyone reading this blog post actually listens to The Morning Benders, you are probably my soulmate), I appreciate that we still have the option of going out together to have a good time. I'll also add my amusement over next Thursday's plans to go out downtown for the sole purpose of finding Glee's Mike Chang look-alike, spotted at The Ale House last Thursday.

I appreciate that you gave me tips on how to play Dodgeball effectively. I owe my newfound athletic prowess to all of you.

I appreciate our excitement over decorating our house for upcoming holidays. And our preliminary plans to purchase Halloween candy that we don't intend to hand out to children. I also appreciate our desire to hunt for a pumpkin patch in Kingston, plans to go Christmas tree hunting in the winter, and plans to spend the holiday season baking cookies. Because holiday cookies make the world go 'round.

Most of all, I appreciate that each of you are great housemates. I couldn't have asked for better. Here's to a great year together!

With Love,

The Roomie Upstairs

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

- Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

2 comments:

  1. barbie doll!

    i JUST came across your blog..and it's FABULOUS! i'm so so so glad you're all the way in kington for school -and loving it!

    best of luck with your studies and your second chance at student life =) enjoy it while it lasts, cuz once it's over, the real world sucks big time!

    haha will definitely be back!
    Maya, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya! I'm so glad you found my blog! It's been ages since we've talked or seen each other! I think a phone date is long overdue. I'll email you re: Skype details. I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete